Go straight to Le Kilt
Les Enfants Terribles
Meard Street, London W1  
close 
Top of page
Back to top

Go back
Meard St

These pictures are of interest in that they shew the quality of the buildings demolished for this railway project.

see note on flickr.com

© Copyright curry15

Click to write a comment to this article! comment



From curry15's photostream:

Queen Anne houses, built between 1702 - 1714. The leases of the sites on the south side, now Nos. 923, and of the roadway, were dated 3 December 1722 and ran for sixty-one years from Michaelmas 1720. They were granted by William Pulteney of St. Martin in the Fields, esquire. The building leases were made to the same lessee, John Meard, the younger, who was described as carpenter and citizen of London. In the 1990 street directory no. 1 Meard Street is Westminster Penitent Female Asylum.

© Copyright curry15

Click to write a comment to this article! comment



From curry15's photostream:

Corner Shop: Meard Street

This is no longer a shop, like so many old shops it's an office or a home. The shopfront is mid 19th century. A beautiful little street of lovely Queen Anne (1702 - 1714) houses, running between Wardour Street and Dean Street. The leases of the sites on the south side, now Nos. 923, and of the roadway, were dated 3 December 1722 and ran for sixty-one years from Michaelmas 1720. They were granted by William Pulteney of St. Martin in the Fields, esquire. The building leases were made to the same lessee, John Meard, the younger, who was described as carpenter and citizen of London. The shopfront would have been added at a later date.

© Copyright curry15

Click to write a comment to this article! comment